Peshtemals are Turkish flat woven bath towels made of natural materials like cotton and bamboo using traditional weaving techniques.
These lightweight Turkish towels were historically used in Turkish baths/hammams. However, nowadays they are used at the beaches, swimming pools / spas, gyms and camping/picnic trips as well as at home instead of the more common terry towels used today..
Peshtemals are becoming more and more popular
- They are very water absorbent
- They are lightweight and compact to carry or store at home
- They are likely to be washed more frequently than towels since they dry quickly & take up less space in the washing machine and are therefore more hygienic.
- They can be used by the whole family
- They are attractive and authentic with their beautiful designs and colours
- They can be worn as wrapped around your body like a sarong or a pareo
- Some people also choose to use them as a table cloth or a small blanket
Why don’t you give them a try and see it for yourself? They are simply beautiful and practical.
How to care for your peshtemal
- Please wash your cotton towels before you use them at max 40C. This increases their absorbency and make them softer.
- Fabric conditioner is not recommended since they reduce absorbency.
- Low heat tumble drying is recommended, but if possible avoid tumble drying completely. Air drying is best to prolong the life of your towel.
- The tassels are hand finished and can be re-tied if they unravel. Divide them into two bits and twist each bit clockwise first. Then you can wrap them around each other anti-clockwise. You can finish the job by tying a knot at the end of each tassel.
- If there are any pulled out threads, you can cut them off. This doesn’t damage your peshtemal.